Thursday, February 01, 2007

QUESTION OF THE WEEK: EDUCATION AND CULTURE

(Each "Question of the Week," an idea which I gleaned from A Republic If You Can Keep It, will remain toward the top of the blog until the next question appears. Please scroll down for recent postings)

Recently, I've been thinking about having a more-or-less weekly feature at my blog. I'm going to do a few trial runs of "Question of the Week" to see how this feature is received by commenters here. My plan is to cover a wide range of topics.

Recently I have posted about the dumbing down of education and of culture in America. Two of those posts are HERE and HERE. Then, this week, I read "King Lear Without the Tears?: It Is Madness" in the "Style" section of the Washington Post. This particular production of King Lear at Folger Theatre of the renowned Folger Shakespeare Library has made a substantial change to the plot of the original play; you can read a review of the production HERE.

QUESTION OF THE WEEK: What have you observed regarding the dumbing down of education and of educationally-related culture in America? If you've noticed such a dumbing down, what do you think can be done to remedy the situation? If you don't feel that such a trend is present, you may express your views on that too.

Labels:

Bookmark and Share
posted by Always On Watch @ 2/01/2007 11:58:00 PM  

|