Thursday, June 14, 2007

Jade Anniversary

(Stuck toward the top through the weekend. Scroll down for other postings)

This weekend, Mr. Always On Watch and I will have been married for 35 years. Hard to believe!
Not long ago, Mr. Always On Watch had a bad moment, got all honked off for a reason yet to be determined, and went out to sleep in his truck, which was parked in the back yard. Mrs. Always On Watch had the bed all to herself and slept just fine, knowing that she had the high ground on this particular argument.

This chart provides a listing of wedding anniversary gifts by year. According to the list, my husband and I have made a lot of progress and have now arrived at our jade anniversary.

The qualities of jade, from this source:
In ancient China and Egypt jade was used as a talisman to attract good fortune and friendship. Worn as an amulet it is believed to protect one from evil while traveling and to promote wisdom and ensure a long life.

Helps to protect the kidney, heart, larynx, liver, spleen, thymus, thyroid and strengthens the body. Jade is known as a symbol of love and virtue.
Several months before Mom passed away, my parents celebrated their 35th anniversary. For the big celebration, my husband and I bought them a beautifully carved jade bird imported from China — a gift which they proudly displayed on a special shelf in their living room.

Now that jade bird graces the dining room here, so I'm not going to hold Mr. AOW to buying me a jade gift. After all, I already have my 35th-anniversary gift, and it only partly involves jade. My most important anniversary gift is the relationship Mr. AOW and I share — never mind that recent night he stormed out to sleep in his truck.

Readers here should consider this posting as a light-blogging alert for this weekend, although I'll be hanging around on the web until the last minute before we leave. Mr. AOW and I plan to hit the road for a day or two to celebrate our special day. We might head for Steubenville, Ohio, and join in the fun at The Dean Martin Festival. We've participated before. A good time!

Labels:

Bookmark and Share
posted by Always On Watch @ 6/14/2007 05:50:00 AM  

|