Friday, March 19, 2010

R.I.P. Fess Parker

Reliapundit of THE ASTUTE BLOGGERS has an excellent post, with text and videos, on the passing of Fess Parker.

As I commented at THE ASTUTE BLOGGERS:
I was one of those caught up in the Davy Crockett craze back in my early childhood. I had the Bill Hayes recording (on 78 rpm for my Victrola) and the coonskin cap. In fact, I may still have that 78 rpm; the flip side was "Farewell," or something like that title.

In fact, just the other day, during our study of tall tales about Paul Bunyan, I was telling my middle school literature students about all the tall tales about Davy Crockett. I even sang them part of the song!

Later, as a pre-teen and teenager, I became a fan of the TV show Daniel Boone -- and a fan of Ed Ames's vocal work as well. Not to mention that hilarious tomahawk appearance by Ames on Johnny Carson's show. LOL!

Very sad that Fess Parker, who will always "be" Davy Crockett and Daniel Boone for me, passed away on his wife's birthday. That coincidence will add more sorrow for the family.


Labels: ,

Bookmark and Share
posted by Always On Watch @ 3/19/2010 07:33:00 AM  

|