Saturday, March 10, 2007

QUESTION OF THE WEEK: CREATIVE WRITING

(Each "Question of the Week," an idea which I gleaned from A Republic If You Can Keep It, will remain toward the top of the blog until the next question appears. The previous Questions of the Week are HERE. Please scroll down for recent postings)

When I started QUESTION OF THE WEEK as a blog feature, I mentioned that I would cover a variety of topics. This week's QUESTION is one of the unusual ones.



The picture below was a story prompt for my creative writing class. Students were instructed to write a short story in imitation of the style of an American author. I also required that the story begin with a wide-angle lens to set the mood before beginning the telling of the story and to avoid the use of flashbacks and in medias res.




QUESTION OF THE WEEK: What would you write about?

You don't have to write the entire story or even complete the outline. Nevertheless, my students and I would appreciate any input you might have. I am hoping that some of students will allow me to post their stories, the final drafts of which were recently submitted.

I required my students to use an outline similar to the one below.

Theme:

Genre:

Setting (time and place):

Point of view:

Author imitated:

What if _________________?

What happened?

Outcome?

Labels:

Bookmark and Share
posted by Always On Watch @ 3/10/2007 06:00:00 PM  

|