Tuesday, May 13, 2008

RIP: Irena Sendler



Excerpt from this obituary in the Washington Post:
...In recent years, a biography of Mrs. Sendler called her "Mother of the children of the Holocaust," and Polish President Lech Kaczynski awarded her the Order of the White Eagle, Poland's highest civilian decoration.

"Every Jewish child who survived due to my efforts has justified my existence on this Earth but is no cause for praise," Mrs. Sendler told the Express. "We who were rescuing children are not some kind of heroes. That term irritates me greatly. The opposite is true. I continue to have qualms of conscience that I did so little. I could have done more. This regret will follow me to my death."...
Read the rest of the article.

Read more about Irena Sendler and "Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project" HERE. More details about her acts of heroism in saving 2500 Jewish children can be found HERE.

(The above entry also posted at THE ASTUTE BLOGGERS)

Labels: , ,

Bookmark and Share
posted by Always On Watch @ 5/13/2008 08:01:00 AM  

|