Wednesday, August 27, 2008

And Now For The Second Eye (Updated)

I had my first cataract surgery, on my left eye, back in 1984, when I was a mere thirty-two years old. Now the ophthalmologist has decided that the other eye needs surgery as soon as possible so as to prevent hypermaturity. In fact, I knew of the necessity for surgery even before he delivered his opinion because my vision in the unoperated eye has deteriorated substantially the past few weeks.
-------
Surgery is scheduled for Friday morning (changed to an earlier time), some three months before I had anticipated. Typically, ophthalmic surgeons are not in a hurry to operate and schedule cataract surgery some several weeks or months after evaluation. This particular cataract, however, has some disturbing qualities, including brown spots and other defects causing distorted vision. Therefore, the surgeon, a renowned expert here in the D.C. Metro area, has recommended immediate action.

If all goes well, within a few days of the operation and for the first time in nearly twenty-five years, my brain won't have to reconcile images of different sizes: an operated eye sees objects 8%-10% larger than an unoperated eye. Also, color perception in both eyes will once again be the same or close to the same. And who knows? Maybe for the first time ever, I can wear Dollar Store reading glasses!

Barring complications and depending on my discomfort level, I won't be away from the web for long after my surgery.

Prayers gratefully appreciated!

The following video, about eight minutes in length, shows how the operation is performed:



YouTube link, which includes interesting comments


Labels:

Bookmark and Share
posted by Always On Watch @ 8/27/2008 01:00:00 PM  

|