Saturday, December 19, 2009

Major Snowstorm!

(Note to family and friends: The most recent update on Mr. AOW is here, updated December 12. Also see this post).

Unlike so often, the weatherman appears to have gotten this forecast correct. We are under a blizzard warning until tomorrow morning with this classic Nor'easter slamming the D.C. area.

This storm could well set a record for December snowfall in the area!

So far, here at this house, we have a full six inches, possibly eight since the last time I ventured out the door to sweep off the front porch. Because of the direction the snow is blowing, the front porch was covered all the way up to the front door.

Yesterday, all the grocery stores were madhouses as I discovered to my regret when I had to go to the nearest grocery-pharmacy to pick up Mr. AOW's eye drops.

In the past, I've ridiculed Washingtonians' love-hate relationship with snow. This time, however, people were wise to stock up. A few days may pass before the streets are fully navigable.

My biggest concern is losing electricity with the winds expected to kick up later today even as the heaviest snowfall moves in and blizzard conditions ensue.

A friend has called to tell us, "I'll be over on Sunday to shovel off the wheelchair ramp." In that case, we won't be isolated for long.

Here's to hoping that I don't have to move Mr. AOW's hospital bed across the room so as to start a fire in the fireplace!

Note: Please scroll down for the weekend-humor post.

Labels: , ,

Bookmark and Share
posted by Always On Watch @ 12/19/2009 08:23:00 AM  

|