Tuesday, June 29, 2010

About Senator Robert C. Byrd

I don't believe in speaking ill of the dead, but I don't believe in making saints out of the dead, undeservedly either.

And, right now, as Senator Byrd's funeral rites approach, he's being spoken of in glowing terms.

Let's have a reality check on Senator Robert Byrd (hat tip to Feed Your ADHD):
* “They call me 'The Pork King,' they don't know how much I enjoy it.”

* “There are white niggers. I've seen a lot of white niggers in my time. I'm going to use that word…”

* “The Klan is needed today as never before and I am anxious to see its rebirth here in West Virginia.”

* “It is necessary that the order be promoted immediately and in every state in the Union…”

* “Will you please inform me as to the possibilities of rebuilding the Klan realm of W. Va.”

* “I will never submit to fight beneath that banner with a Negro by my side…”

* “Rather I should die a thousand times, and see Old Glory trampled in the dirt never to rise again … than to see this beloved land of ours become degraded by race mongrel … a throwback to the blackest specimen from the wilds."
No wonder that the Ku Klux Klan actually suggested way back when that Robert Byrd seek political office.

Of course, like any other human being, Byrd wasn't all bad (source):
In 2004, he persuaded Congress to require schools and colleges to teach about the Constitution every Sept. 17, the day the document was adopted in 1787.
Can't argue with the fact that our Constitution should be studied in school; however, that study should take a lot more than one day.

Labels: ,

Bookmark and Share
posted by Always On Watch @ 6/29/2010 11:39:00 AM  

|